By STO Abi Colburn, The Woodlands High School, Troupe 1053
It has come that time to start auditioning for high school shows. Here are some tips and tricks so you will absolutely rock your audition:
2. Know your character. Read up on the show you are auditioning for; it gives you an idea of what the directors are looking for.
3. Don’t be nervous. Everyone gets nervous, but try to remember that the directors are on your side. They want you to be the person that they have been looking for.
4. Don’t apologize. In your audition, don’t be overly apologetic. Be confident in yourself and you will rock it!
5. Don’t be afraid to make choices. Many directors are looking for fresh perspectives to work with. If you have an idea that fits your character and piece, go for it!
6. Pick material from published plays. If you are asked to perform a monologue, pick one from a published play. Directors much prefer it and it makes it easier on you because you can find out exactly what your character is going through using the play.
7. BREATHE. Auditioning can be a very scary thing. You are putting yourself out there in front of directors in the hopes of being casted. Just breathe, taking deep breaths helps calm the nervous system and then you will be more confident in your audition!
Hopefully these tips will help you succeed in rocking your high school auditions! And remember, it's just high school. It is not the end of the world if it doesn’t go the way you want it to.
Your 2021 Texas State Thespian Officers